Being aware of how to remove tonsil stones properly is something that anyone who suffers from recurring tonsil stones should know to prevent lacerations to the tonsils. However, removing tonsilloliths does nothing to keep these annoying, bad-smelling stones from re-developing and lodging in the tonsil’s cracks and crevices. Although tonsil stones are not harmful, they produce embarrassingly severe halitosis that resists over the counter, breath freshening “cover-ups” like chewing gum and mints. Name brand mouthwashes and oral rinses are not effective against the noxious odor of tonsil stones, either, primarily because they contain ingredients such as alcohol and sodium laurel sulfate that actually contribute to dry mouth and facilitate bacterial growth responsible for chronic halitosis and tonsil stone formation.
What are Tonsil Stones?
Tonsil stones are tiny, irregularly shaped whitish “stones” that are comprised of calcified food particles, mucus, dead tissue cells and calcium. Initially, microscopic accumulations of these items start to adhere together within the surface fissures of tonsils. How long it takes for a stone to form depends on the pH level of the mouth, the severity of a dry mouth condition and if the tonsils are prone to frequent bouts of tonsillitis.
When a tonsil stone has developed, the person can usually see it by looking into a mirror and opening the mouth wide enough to see the tonsils. Tonsil stones that manage to embed themselves deeply within a fissure may only be discovered when a dentist or doctor is performing a thorough examination of the tonsils. However, most tonsilloliths are readily seen because they tend to remain lodged just within the outer areas of a tonsil’s crevices.
5 Best Methods for Removing Tonsil Stones
- Toothbrush–using the bristles of a soft toothbrush, gently prod the tonsil stone lose and spit it out as soon as possible. Accidentally biting a tonsil stone releases its foul-smelling contents and worsens an existing case of halitosis.
- Cotton swab–use a cotton swab the same way you would use a toothbrush. Wet the end of the cotton swab before attempting to dislodge tonsil stones to make insertion of the swab into tonsil crevices easier
- Oral irrigator–tonsils stones that are not firmly embedded in tonsil fissures may be removed by oral irrigators that emit a stream of water strong enough to safely dislodge tonsil stones
- Rounded end of a bobby pin–standard bobby pins are too small to be effective in reaching a tonsil stone so obtain larger bobby pins and use the rounded end to remove stones. Make sure to disinfect the bobby pin with hydrogen peroxide before making contact with a tonsil surface.
- Gargling and massaging the tonsil area–sometimes, gargling with salt water or hydrogen peroxide will dislodge stones due to the effervescent action of these solutions. Massaging and manipulating the tonsils with your fingers may also stretch and enlarge tonsillar crypts enough to allow stones to fall out on their own.
- One of the most effective treatment methods that can eliminate tonsil stones is available as TheraBreath’s Deluxe Tonsil Stone Removal Kit, a unique and convenient kit providing products essential to preventing the recurrence of aggravating, foul-smelling tonsillolith deposits. Packed with rinses, toothpastes, sprays and other products rich with ingredients that directly attack the reasons why tonsil stones are formed, TheraBreath’s Tonsil Stone Removal Kit is the creation of Dr. Harold Katz, renown bacteriologist and dentist responsible for establishing TheraBreath Oral Hygiene Products over 20 years ago.
Rarely is surgery necessary to remove tonsil stones because stones usually remain around 1/6 to 1/8 of an inch in width and length, small enough to be extricated at home without a physician’s assistance. Tonsils stones that cannot be removed by using any of the above methods may require laser treatments that smooth the deeply wrinkled surfaces of tonsils to allow extraction of problematic tonsil stones.
Eliminating Tonsil Stones
Created when the mouth is overwhelmed with harmful oral bacteria and mouth detritus, tonsil stones will continue to reform unless tonsils are surgically removed or the health of the mouth is improved. Lack of saliva flow due to a chronically dry mouth also contributes to recurring tonsil stones. When saliva is absent, the mouth is unable to clean and sanitize itself properly. As a result of insufficient saliva, food particles remain on teeth, in between teeth and in the small pockets of space where the teeth and gums meet. Additionally, the number of oxygen molecules is reduced, generating a stagnant, airless and dry environment conducive to anaerobic bacterial growth, severe halitosis and tonsil stone formation.
One of the most effective treatment methods that can eliminate tonsil stones is available as TheraBreath’s Deluxe Tonsil Stone RemovalKit, a unique and convenient kit providing products essential to preventing the recurrence of aggravating, foul-smelling tonsillolith deposits.
Packed with rinses, toothpastes, sprays and other products rich with ingredients that directly attack the reasons why tonsil stones are formed, TheraBreath’s Tonsil Stone Removal Kit is the creation of Dr. Harold Katz, renown bacteriologist and dentist responsible for establishing TheraBreath Oral Hygiene Products over 20 years ago.
Because Dr. Katz possesses extensive knowledge regarding all aspects of oral health, the products found in his tonsil stone elimination kit contain specially formulated ingredients specifically designed to increase saliva flow and add substantial amounts of oxygen molecules that immediately counteract anaerobic bacterial activity.
TheraBreath Tonsil Stone Kit Removal Products
TheraBreath Oral Rinse–alcohol free and invigorated with the dynamic power of Dr. Katz’s own OXYD-8 formula, TheraBreath’s Oral Rinse promotes saliva flow and enriches the mouth with oxygen molecules that kills anaerobic bacteria incapable of living in an oxygenated environment. Moreover, this oral rinse does not contain ingredients such as sodium laurel sulfate and saccharine found in most over the counter oral hygiene products. These ingredients contribute nothing to preventing tonsil stones because they are drying agents called desiccants (along with alcohol) that actually generate counterproductive, dehydrating conditions in the mouth.
Dr. Katz’s own patented invention, OXYD-8, is a powerful compound that has been clinically tested and shown to significantly improve oral health conditions by killing anaerobic bacteria with active oxygenating molecules. TheraBreath products containing OXYD-8 provide the benefits of oxychlor complexes and proprietary, pharmaceutical chlorine dioxide. As an oxidizing agent that eliminate odors by ridding molecules of their electrons, OXYD-8 also contributes to whitening teeth and has the ability to infiltrate bacterial cell walls to kill them on contact.
Natural, hypoallergenic ingredients that are essential to preventing tonsil stones, reversing a dry mouth condition and eliminating bad breath are all found in TheraBreath Oral Rinse as well as its toothpastes, mouthwashes, sprays, chewing gum and mints. Consumers will find only purified water, hydrogenated castor oil, essential oils such as peppermint and tea tree, sodium bicarbonate and sodium benzoate for neutralizing damaging oral acids.
Also included in TheraBreath’s Tonsil Stone Removal Kit is one tube of TheraBreath toothpaste, two sheets of AktivOxigen tablets, one bottle of AktivOxigen rinse, three bottles of TheraBreath PLUS Extinguisher spray (for bad breath), three rolls of ZOX mints, two bottles of TheraBreath nasal-sinus drops and one AktivOxigen Serum.
Each product works towards enhancing saliva flow, eliminating anaerobic bacteria, freshening breath and removing components that encourage the formation of tonsil stones. By following directions and using products provided by TheraBreath’s Tonsil Stone Removal Kit, people who suffer from recurring tonsil stones will soon discover the benefits of living without the aggravation and embarrassment of noxious tonsil stones.